It is the most affordable type of auto insurance, yet it complies with state’s regulations. All optional coverage for example Rental Reimbursement and Roadside Assistance are not in the policy to reduce the premium without losing the necessary protections.
Standard and Non-Standard Insurance Market
There are two different types of insurance markets including standard and non-standard markets. The former is the typical auto insurance for drivers with little to zero traffic tickets in the driving records. Insurance companies regard consumers of this market as low-risk drivers. Non-standard is for drivers who have major traffic violations histories such as speeding or DUI. For these drivers, acquiring auto insurance from the standard market can be difficult due to strict approval requirements by providers.
Standard market insurers are reluctant to provide policies because of the following reasons:
· High-risk drivers have tendencies to commit the same traffic violations
· There is a chance that the insurer must pay a considerable amount of compensation for repeated violation
· Some drivers get their high-risk status because of policy cancellation from the previous company as a result of frequent late payment
Non-standard market insurance consumers or high-risk drivers must pay a higher price for the policies, but the system allows them to get an easy approval. Regardless of past driving records or involvement in the accident, all applicants should acquire auto insurance policies to help them get back on the road without problems.
Minimum Auto Coverage
Every driver only needs to acquire the state’s minimum coverage requirements to drive without breaking the law. Depending on the states, the coverage limit can be different, but most states require at least the following coverage in the policy:
· Bodily Injury Liability: the coverage that provides payout or compensation following an accident in which the policyholder is at fault. The payout is for someone else who sustains injuries.
· Property Damage Liability: similar to Bodily Injury, the payout is for someone else whose properties or cars suffer from damages in an accident. The at-fault party must help cover repair or replacements.
In some states, Personal Injury Protection (PIP) is also a mandatory coverage. This applies in states that use no-fault regulation.
Collision coverage is a financial protection for a policyholder’s vehicle in case it suffers damages from the accident. The payout from this coverage is available to help repair or replace vehicle’s parts.
Comprehensive also has the same purpose, but it only applies when damages are results of non-accident occurrences for examples falling objects, flood, theft, or hitting an animal. Both optional coverage types are sometimes mandatory by a leasing or financing company.
All high-risk drivers can revoke their high-risk status after taking some obligatory courses for example Defensive Driving or Driver’s Education Course. Please remember that driving without insurance is an illegal act. The price for insurance from non-standard market is higher, but the company allows for flexible payment options as follows:
· Economy Plan: payment system which allows policyholder to pay the down payment to acquire a policy. Installment every 30-day applies for the remaining amount.
· Quarterly Plan: another installment plan in which policyholders can spread the payment and pay once every four months for a year.
· Annual Plan: this is the simplest payment method with one-time payment up front for a year policy.
The rates remain the same throughout one-year policy period regardless of the payment plan applied. The insurance firm guarantees the rate for a full calendar year.
Many people associate the term “high-risk” with repeated violations or major infraction, but most insurers have different views towards the case. Besides bad driving records, some other factors can determine whether or not someone is high-risk including:
· Age: new or teen drivers fall under high-risk category because they have very little experience in driving. Elderly people (70 years or older) are also high-risk due to hearing/vision issues. The company helps these people to get auto insurance in an easy way.
· Address: living in an area where the crime rate is high makes a driver high-risk as well. Cars in such neighborhood often fall victim to vandalism or theft.
· Credit history: The company does not use drivers’ credit history to determine approval.
Apart from those three factors, insurers use many variables to decide whether an applicant deserves approval or cancellation. the company only needs basic personal data to start underwriting auto insurance policies for customers.
To help policyholders save money on insurance, the firm offers multiple discounts. There are three categories for discounts:
· Driver Discounts: eligibility requirements include taking Defensive Driving Course or Driver’s Education. Students with good grades are eligible for the discount as well.
· Policy Discounts: more affordable premiums for policyholders who registers multiple vehicles under one policy. Those who pay in full get 31% off premium.
· Vehicle Discounts: installing safety devices such as airbag, passive restraint, cell-phone blocking, and anti-theft system grants more discounts, too.